Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday Tunes: Eddie Vedder.

Being from Tennessee, I am ashamed to admit that I have only been to Memphis a couple of times. This is the city where my parents got engaged and spent the first few years of their marriage. It's where my mom got her first teaching job and my dad went to medical school. It's nickname alone, the Barbecued Pork Capital of the World, makes me want to drive there right now. Needless to say, my bucket list for good ol' Memphis is pretty long (ahem hello, Graceland).

In an attempt to cross a few off the list, we made a night of it last Wednesday and headed West from Nashville to, you guessed it, Memphis, to see Eddie Vedder in concert. I actually got invited as a sort of accident but was happy as can be to be spending the evening with three of my favorite people-- my sister, brother-n-law and boyfriend.

Let's start off by saying that the venue was breathtaking. The Orpheum itself is a site to see, with all it's crystal, velvet and gilded gold--chandeliers in all directions. There isn't a bad seat in this theatre and you can take my word for it because from our seats (which were indeed nosebleed) everything was still glittering and beautiful.

Vedder has a personal connection with Memphis, which is why I believe the concert was so special. As everyone cheered, clapped and stood, he started the show by saying-- "I advise y'all to sit in those nice velvety chairs, cause we're gonna be here a while." Yep....three blissful hours. I have to say that I preferred his covers and solo material to the Pearl Jam tunes, but lord knows there were plenty of people in the crowd who came only to hear those songs...I was just not one of them. These were a few of my favorite from the evening...


No comments:

Post a Comment