Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The little red balloon that could...

I love podcasts. Don't get me wrong music definitely has its place but variety is so necessary and sometimes I just wanna listen to a cool story or learn something new. It makes my morning commute so much more bearable. This morning I was listening to one of my favorites, Radiolab, and they featured the most amazing story.

Story is... In 2001 a ten year old named Laura Buxton in Stoke-on-Trent, England released a red balloon with her mailing address, her name and a note saying "please return". About 140 miles and ten days later, the balloon landed on the lawn of a house in Milton Lilbourne, England. A neighbor saw the balloon, picked it up, and just as he was about to throw it away, he noticed the note. He marched over to the house where the balloon was found and handed it to ten year old girl named, well, Laura Buxton. The balloon had travelled over 100 miles all the way across the country and landed on the lawn of a girl with the same name.

Don't believe me? Give it a listen (the story is the first 6 min of the podcast)...
(photo via we heart it)

No comments:

Post a Comment