Thursday, May 30, 2013

Wandering Wednesday: Castlewood Canyon State Park




How was your holiday weekend? I know it feels like ages ago now, but I wanted to share a little snippet from mine. All weekend, I had the itch to do something outdoorsy, but things kept getting in the way. And then there was Monday. I really feel like we should have a three day weekend way more often (right?!) just to be able to do all the things we wanted to do but couldn't cram in those short two days. It's such a nice feeling to know you have one more day. Saying that, even when Monday rolled around we had appointments and other errands to squeeze in, but by two o'clock I was ready. This is strange to admit, but I was seeing all these photos of people on Instagram on vacation and out in the world and I thought, "I need to do that". So way to go social media for forcing me to want to do something valuable with my time. I guess sometimes it's not all bad. 

I did a little research on day hikes and found this one. It's an easy to moderate 3ish mile hike that seemed perfect for the amount of time and energy we had. There are all sorts of trails around the canyon, so longer hikes are definitely an option, but we were limited with daylight so we stuck to the shorter one. There is a small waterfall only about 5 min into the hike (depending on the route you take) and ruins, including remnants of the Castlewood Dam that burst in 1933 sending 15 foot high wave of water into Denver (crazy, huh?). The weather was on our side and the late afternoon proved to be a great time to set out. At times it looked like it was going to rain on us, but it never did, and the clouds were a really nice shield from the heat. By the end of the hike, everything was glowing with that magic hour wonder-- my favorite time of day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment