Wednesday, December 9, 2009

More family tradition: Sugar cookies

I know, I know, I am so late today. I am so sorry but everything seems to be moving so much slower now that the weather has dropped to single digits...including the internet. So okay, running with the theme from yesterday, I thought I'd spend the rest of the week sharing a few more of my family traditions with you. I have to admit, I don't often make cookies. In fact, I really only make them, well, from a box. Ugh, I really hate admitting that but it's true. However, during this time of year, (when my mom is making the homemade dough) I like to make an exception. I am always the designated decorator and I take that job very seriously. It might take me up to 5 min per cookie, no kidding! I have yet to make my mom's famous sugar cookies this year but I plan on doing so very soon. (with Amy Grant blaring in the background of course!) So, I wanted to share the recipe with you...Oh and p.s. this is a great place to stock up on cookie cutters!

Mom's Sugar Cookies

Cream together 1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
Blend in 1 medium whole egg
or 2 small egg yolks
Sift together and
add to mixture 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups flour(sifted-all-purpose)
Blend into mixture 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet at 400 for 8 to 10 minutes

Icing:

  • powdered sugar
  • water
  • food coloring (green and red are a must!)

Preparation: This isn't really an exact measurement. Just pour the powdered sugar in a bowl and slowly add the water while stirring it with a spoon. Keep stirring in water until the icing is a think paste. If it is too runny then just add more powdered sugar. Color the icing as you please! (and don't forget the red hot on the tip of the reindeer's nose!)


(via ?- tell me if you know!)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. It brings back lots of memories of cookie decorating as a child. We had some red plastic ones that made great indentions so it was easy to see where to decorate what. I loved them but wasn't too good at getting the icing where it was suppose to go.

    ReplyDelete