Friday, February 22, 2013

MAKE: Jam Jar Candles.

I was in the mood to do something crafty last weekend but not in the mood to go shopping for a bunch of supplies and spend money. So I rounded up a few things I already had and this was the result. You can never have too many candles in the house and I am one of those weirdos who keeps glass jars around because I like to use them for storage. I had the wax leftover from making candles over Christmas, which is a really fun and easy gift too! So here is how it's done:

Supplies:

- 1 glass jar (I used a Bonne Maman Raspberry Jam jar)

- 1 container of natural wicks

- Soy candle wax

- 1 paint pen, for decoration (optional)

- essential oils, for smell (optional)

Using a double boiler (or one lg pot and one medium pot if you don't have one of those fancy things) heat about two inches of water in the lg pot and bring to a boil. In the medium size pot place as much wax as desired (depending how many candles you want to make) and turn the burner to down medium-low heat. After about 10 minutes or so the candle wax should be melted. Do not let the wax temperature exceed 250 degrees F! Turn off the heat and let the wax cool for a couple minutes. Next, if desired, put a few droplets of your scent in to the wax and mix. Finally pour the wax into preferred container and place wick in the center*. Let the candle dry for about 2 hours and decorate the jar with a paint pen or any other materials you may have!

* The trickiest part of this whole process for me was keeping the wick centered. I could have used one of these but rigged up something similar with toothpicks and tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment