Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Needle felting + a mushroom and a fox.

So I thought I'd share my most recent craft project with you all. I touched upon it a little bit in my weekend post but needle felting is really pretty strange until you actually try it so I wanted to expand. I bought this felting kit from Fancy Tiger last week...

They basically provide you with the felting wool, a sharp pin and a foam block. It is amazing to me these three things will soon lead you to an actual object, but it did and this was my end result...

My sister got the Fox ball kit and each kit comes with enough for two so I made a fox as well...

The process of needle felting is actually pretty simple. One of the main objectives is to find the right shape. For example, when making the fox, you must first roll the wool into a tight ball (or the shape you wish the head to be). Once you have got your shape you use the needle to poke all around the ball until you feel it is the right density and texture. (this is a great way to relive any sort of anxieties you might be having) The foam is used as a safety barrier between you and the needle which is very sharp. I won't bore you with a huge list of instructions but if you are interested I found I really good tutorial here. Voila! Now you have two lovely forest dwellers...

No comments:

Post a Comment